Monday, March 1, 2010

The Miracle of Duct Tape


My sister, Celery, demonstrates the many important uses of duct tape (or is it duck tape?). In this instance, her boot was yawning at the toes. She salvaged her boot by wrapping it in duct tape. Without the duct tape she would have hiked 10 miles up and over New Army Pass in flip flops. Youch!

Before each backpacking trip I wrap several yards of duct tape around a bear canister or a hiking pole (an old Navajo Indian trick). The tape can then be used to repair a boot, a gaping wound, a sprained ankle or a leaking fuel line in the stove. It really is quite miraculous! (Turkey Tetrazzini Pete has threatened to duct tape my mouth shut on many of our trips in an effort to shut me up. That Pete!).

Other potential but not yet approved uses for duct tape include covering my bald spot, repairing dirigibles or passing health care legislation. We shall see...

4 comments:

  1. Dad says that it's great for blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henceforth am I Celery to the world? And what's up with your cyber brothers, Jay and JJ? Andreas knows how to make a wallet out of Duct Tape. It's also great for bikini waxing, which is so useful in the high country. And lets not forget the best use of all: few know that when used properly, Duct Tape is a highly effective teeth whitener, a must at treeline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Celery. I could've called you by your real name (Mary), but that would not have elucidated your true character (like celery, you are a good source of fiber). As for Jay and JJ, I thought this was a brilliant cyber representation of my two brothers without revealing their true identities. I've seen those duct tape wallets. I think that's part of the requirement for 2nd graders being able to move on to 3rd grade, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to mention our other sister "maple sugar".

    -JJ

    ReplyDelete